Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Snow in August


I had been feeling something hard in my stomach for a few months. Don't worry, be patient, your stomach will shrink soon enough, you just had twins. Still somewhere in the dark, I kept wondering. It is just your bowel, you're full of poop my GP said. She scheduled an ultrasound just in case. Probably just a fibroid.

And I wasn't worried. Odd, for me really. I usually worry. I am strong, I thought. What can happen now?

The ultrasound was scheduled a week earlier, but we wanted to go camping. I rescheduled. We took S. and the twins and camped with my aunt and uncle in Kananaskis. We all slept in the trailer. I nursed the twins every three hours and fretted about waking everyone up. In the morning, the world was blanketed with a wet, heavy, coat of snow. The air was crisp and new and the sounds of summer mixed with the music of melting snow. I was tired and grumpy but also proud. Just proud for being there. Look how strong I am, I thought. Look at how beautiful my family is. We are perfect.

No comments: